Above The Aisle There's more than just Left or Right!



Politifact Truth-O-Meter

Syndicate content
The latest statements PolitiFact.com has reviewed
Updated: 40 min 18 sec ago

Donald Trump: "Hypocrisy at the Clinton Foundation: Top male staff made on average $218,029 while top female staff made $153,014 from 2010-2014."

Fri, 05/27/2016 - 13:38
The Truth-o-Meter says: Half-True | Donald Trump says Clinton Foundation pays top women less than top men

Donald Trump is calling Hillary Clinton a hypocrite when it come to gender pay equality, charging that her husband’s Clinton Foundation doesn’t walk the walk when it comes to paying women and men equally. Trump recently shared a post on his Instagram account that sought to highlight pay disparities at the Clinton Foundation. The foundation was founded by her husband, former President Bill Clinton. Hillary Clinton has worked for the foundation in periods when she wasn’t serving in government or running for president. "Hypocrisy at the Clinton Foundation: Top male staff made on average $218,029 while top female staff made ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "In 2006, Donald Trump was hoping for a real estate crash."

Thu, 05/26/2016 - 11:57
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly True | Hillary Clinton faults Donald Trump for hoping for real estate crash that led to the Great Recession

The commercial seems like an example of the old adage, "Be careful what you wish for." Democrat Hillary Clinton posted the ad, which we caught on Instagram, on May 24 slamming Republican Donald Trump for saying he would welcome a burst in the housing bubble affecting real estate prices a decade ago. "In 2006, Donald Trump was hoping for a real estate crash," it says, showing a picture of Trump giving two thumbs up. The ad goes on to list consequences from the Great Recession, which peaked in 2008. It lists 9 million jobs lost and 5 million ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: It "is Hillary Clinton's agenda" to "release the violent criminals from jail. She wants them all released."

Thu, 05/26/2016 - 08:40
The Truth-o-Meter says: Pants on Fire! | Donald Trump wrong that Hillary Clinton wants to release all violent criminals from prison

Donald Trump didn’t mince words about Hillary Clinton’s criminal justice agenda when he addressed the National Rifle Association’s national convention on May 20, 2016. "President Obama pushed for changes to sentencing laws that released thousands of dangerous drug trafficking felons and gang members who prey on civilians," Trump said. He continued, "This is Hillary Clinton's agenda, too, to release the violent criminals from jail. She wants them all released." We think most observers would agree that releasing every violent criminal in American prisons would amount to political suicide, not to mention bad policy. But we thought it was worth checking Clinton's actual policy ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: "There are places in America that are among the most dangerous in the world. You go to places like Oakland. Or Ferguson. The crime numbers are worse. Seriously."

Wed, 05/25/2016 - 15:20
The Truth-o-Meter says: False | Donald Trump's false claim that Oakland, Ferguson are 'among the most dangerous in the world'

Donald Trump named Oakland and Ferguson among the "most dangerous" cities in the world in a recent New York Times magazine interview. Reporter Robert Draper asked Trump to name the most dangerous place in the world he’s been. "Brooklyn," the Queens-native-turned-Manhattanite joked. Then he said."There are places in America that are among the most dangerous in the world. You go to places like Oakland. Or Ferguson. The crime numbers are worse. Seriously." Seriously? Trump’s right that a few places in the United States have some of the highest murder rates across the globe — but Oakland and Ferguson are ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: "Look, we are at war with these people and they don't wear uniforms. … This is a war against people that are vicious, violent people, that we have no idea who they are, where they come from. We are allowing tens of thous

Wed, 05/25/2016 - 13:00
The Truth-o-Meter says: Pants on Fire! | Donald Trump's Pants on Fire claim that US is letting in 'tens of thousands' of terrorists now

Donald Trump has advocated for a "temporary" ban on Muslims coming into the United States to prevent any terrorists from crossing the border. But are there already tens of thousands of terrorists coming into the country now? That’s what he claimed in an interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly. "Look, we are at war with these people, and they don't wear uniforms," Trump said during the May 23, 2016, interview. "It's not your traditional war where it's a war against Germany, Japan, or whoever. This is a war against people that are vicious, violent people, that we have no ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "The only two (Donald Trump tax returns) we have show that he hasn't paid a penny in taxes."

Tue, 05/24/2016 - 10:00
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly False | Hillary Clinton claim about Donald Trump paying no federal taxes ignores the years when he did

Releasing federal tax returns has become a rite of passage for presidential candidates. Donald Trump, who has marched to his own drummer in many ways this campaign season, has been the exception, refusing to release them. During an appearance on NBC's Meet the Press, Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton chided Trump for keeping his returns secret. When Todd asked Clinton if Trump had done anything that should be praised, Clinton offered a non sequitur, saying Trump "needs to release his tax returns. The only two we have show that he hasn't paid a penny in taxes. "And yet he goes around ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "Let me say that I don't think (Bernie Sanders has) had a single negative ad ever run against him." 

Sun, 05/22/2016 - 13:07
The Truth-o-Meter says: False | Hillary Clinton wrong that no negative ads have hit Bernie Sanders

Hillary Clinton, who said this week she "will be the party’s nominee," emphasized on Meet the Press that she’s already won more votes than rival Bernie Sanders and she’ll also be the better prepared candidate for the fall. When Chuck Todd pointed out that Sanders fares better than Clinton in head-to-head matchups against presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump, Clinton suggested Sanders hasn’t been vetted as thoroughly as she’s been. "Let me say that I don't think he's had a single negative ad ever run against him. And that's fine. But we know what we're going into, and we understand what ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "When I was secretary of state, I had a very high approval rating."

Sun, 05/22/2016 - 13:04
The Truth-o-Meter says: True | Hillary Clinton's approval ratings as secretary of state were high, but they're not now

The 2016 presidential race may come down to a contest where the least unpopular candidate wins, with Democrat Hillary Clinton just three percentage points ahead of Republican Donald Trump in the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll. Both candidates have extraordinarily high disapproval ratings, a fact mentioned by Chuck Todd when he interviewed Clinton during the May 22 edition of Meet the Press. He wanted to know how she would get past her negative numbers. Clinton argued that once she gets on a job, whether it's first lady, U.S. senator or secretary of state, she gets things done. ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "We now do have evidence" that Donald Trump is being used as a recruiting tool for terrorists.

Fri, 05/20/2016 - 12:50
The Truth-o-Meter says: True | Donald Trump now being used in terrorist propaganda videos, Hillary Clinton says

Hillary Clinton took flak from fact-checkers back in December when she claimed that Donald Trump’s comments were being used as a recruiting tool by ISIS. We rated that statement False, for lack of evidence. The Washington Post Fact Checker said a link did not "appear to exist." Fast-forward five months. Clinton says those links now do exist. "When you say we're going to bar all Muslims, you are sending a message to the Muslim world and you're also sending a message to the terrorists because we now do have evidence," Clinton said May 19 ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "We just had the best year for the auto industry in America in history."

Fri, 05/20/2016 - 12:00
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly True | Hillary Clinton says 2015 was the best year in US auto industry history

On the campaign trail, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has pitched herself as someone who will continue many of President Barack Obama’s policies. At a campaign rally in Kentucky May 16, Clinton praised the 2009 auto industry bailout, which people view as an Obama success. "We saved the auto industry," she said. "That’s important in Louisville. It’s important in Bowling Green. It’s important in Northern Kentucky. It’s important across this commonwealth. That’s a big difference between me and my opponent in the primary. I voted to save the auto industry, he voted not to. It’s important to know ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: Says "Elizabeth Warren lied when she says I want to abolish the Federal Minimum Wage."

Thu, 05/19/2016 - 07:44
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly False | Elizabeth Warren gets better of Donald Trump on his stance on abolishing federal minimum wage

The question of whether -- or how much -- to raise the minimum wage has been a divisive issue during the Democratic presidential primary. But it has also caused frictions between Republicans and Democrats. A case in point is a recent Twitter exchange between presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, a favorite of the progressive wing of her party. On May 11, Warren tweeted this: "You care so much about struggling American workers, @realDonaldTrump, that you want to abolish the federal minimum wage?" Later that day, Trump tweeted back: "Goofy Elizabeth Warren ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Bernie Sanders: "Puerto Rico’s $70 billion debt is unsustainable and it is unpayable. And the reason why it is unsustainable has everything to do with the greed of Wall Street vulture funds."

Thu, 05/19/2016 - 07:00
The Truth-o-Meter says: Half-True | Bernie Sanders links Puerto Rico's debt crisis to Wall Street greed

Bernie Sanders condemned Wall Street for creating and now profiting off Puerto Rico’s debt crisis during a campaign stop on the island. Puerto Rico is currently $72 billion in debt and, in the words of its governor, in "a death spiral." Unlike other states and cities, it cannot legally declare bankruptcy. So Sanders called for the Federal Reserve to help the U.S. territory out, just as it bailed out the financial sector responsible for imperilling 3.5 million Puerto Ricans in the first place.   "I think all of us understand and your government understands that Puerto Rico’s $70 billion ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Priorities USA Action: Says Donald Trump said of women, "And you can tell them to go f--- themselves."

Wed, 05/18/2016 - 14:16
The Truth-o-Meter says: Pants on Fire! | Priorities USA ad rips Trump's 'f--- themselves' quote way out of context

Donald Trump's attitude toward women has been a major issue in the 2016 presidential campaign since Megyn Kelly grilled him about some of his negative comments at the GOP’s first presidential debate. With Trump as the presumptive Republican nominee, Priorities USA, a pro-Hillary Clinton super PAC, has released a commercial called "Speak" showing people — all but one of them a woman — wearing T-shirts with Trump images mouthing some of the comments the billionaire has used when referring to women. The quotes: "You know you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Penny Pritzker: Since 2009, "after-tax incomes are up nearly 14 percent."

Wed, 05/18/2016 - 10:49
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly True | Are after-tax incomes up 14% since 2009?

President Barack Obama has touted his administration’s record of overseeing economic growth since the Great Recession. But is it correct -- as Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker wrote recently in Medium -- that since 2009, "after-tax incomes are up nearly 14 percent"? To check Pritzker’s statement, we looked at two economic statistics compiled by the Bureau of Economic Analysis, which, as it happens, is part of the department Pritzker oversees. One is real disposable personal income -- that is, the accumulation of all personal incomes in the United States, minus taxes and adjusted for inflation. That statistic rose from $10.9 trillion ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: Says Hillary Clinton "wants to abolish the Second Amendment."

Wed, 05/11/2016 - 13:45
The Truth-o-Meter says: False | Donald Trump falsely claims Hillary Clinton 'wants to abolish the 2nd Amendment'

Donald Trump accused Hillary Clinton of coming after your guns and your right to them. "Hillary Clinton wants to abolish the Second Amendment," Trump said May 7 at a rally in Washington. "Hillary Clinton wants to take your guns away, and she wants to abolish the Second Amendment." We asked the Trump campaign for evidence for this claim, but they didn’t get back to us. The Clinton campaign vehemently denied it. "Of course Hillary Clinton does not want to repeal the Second Amendment," Clinton spokesman Josh Schwerin said. We found no evidence that Clinton has ever advocated for repealing ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: Germany "is crime-riddled right now" because of migration to Europe.

Wed, 05/11/2016 - 12:49
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly False | Donald Trump says Germany now riddled with crime thanks to refugees

After his GOP opponents dropped out of the race, Donald Trump was asked on NBC Nightly News if he would soften his opinions on immigration. "As you try to appeal to the entire country, do you stand by them? Do you stand, for example, by the idea of a ban against foreign Muslims coming in?" asked anchor Lester Holt. "I do," said Trump. "We have to be vigilant. We have to be strong. We have to see what's going on. There's a big problem in the world. You look what's happening with the migration in Europe. You look ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Hillary Clinton: "The market is making this decision. The market has driven down the cost of coal, so you have companies going bankrupt."

Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:00
The Truth-o-Meter says: Mostly True | Hillary Clinton says market forces made coal companies go bankrupt

Some coal country voters see Hillary Clinton as a threat, someone who would install regulations that would hurt rather than help the struggling coal industry. But Clinton, the Democratic frontrunner, told CNN’s Anderson Cooper that she thinks it's necessary to move away from fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy, and she wants to do what she can to help current coal mine workers make that transition. "But the market is making this decision," she said May 4. "The market has driven down the cost of coal, so you have companies going bankrupt. So what I'm offering is a $30 billion ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Joe Biden: "In the United States alone we lose more than 3,000 people a day to cancer."

Mon, 05/09/2016 - 08:26
The Truth-o-Meter says: False | Joe Biden misstates daily deaths in United States from cancer

Vice President Joe Biden, the Obama administration’s point person on advancing cancer research, traveled to the Vatican on April 29, 2016, to discuss technological progress in medicine. During that speech, Biden said, "In the United States alone we lose more than 3,000 people a day to cancer." A few days later, Biden’s office posted the text of that speech on Medium. When we looked into this statistic, we found a discrepancy. In the American Cancer Society’s "Cancer Facts & Figures 2016" report, the group wrote that "about 595,690 Americans are expected to die of cancer in 2016, which ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: "You have to be a citizen to vote," but with same-day voter registration, "you have places where people just walk in and vote."

Sun, 05/08/2016 - 14:44
The Truth-o-Meter says: False | Donald Trump wrongly says noncitizens can vote when there is same-day voter registration

Donald Trump said he does not support same-day voter registration because he says it makes it easier for noncitizens to vote. Because Trump complained repeatedly that the primary process was fixed, Meet the Press host Chuck Todd asked Trump if he supports policies that make it easier for people to vote. Same-day voter registration, for example, allows voters to register or update their information at the polls on Election Day. "No, no," Trump said to the suggestion. "I don't think people should sneak in through the cracks. And whether that's an ID or any way you want to do it. ...

>> More
Categories: Politics

Donald Trump: "We're the highest taxed nation in the world."

Sun, 05/08/2016 - 14:43
The Truth-o-Meter says: False | For the third time, Donald Trump, U.S. is not 'highest taxed nation in the world'

Donald Trump released a tax plan in September that would give huge tax cuts to the top 0.1 percent and bloat the deficit by at least $10 trillion over the next decade. But after he became the GOP’s last man standing and presumptive nominee, Trump said this week he’s considering raising taxes on the rich. "Should we assume that most of your plans, then, we shouldn’t take you at your words, as sort of that they’re floors?" Meet the Press host Chuck Todd asked Trump. "It is called life, Chuck. It’s not my word, of course. I ...

>> More
Categories: Politics


There's more than just Left or Right!

Need proof? Take the World's Smallest Political Quiz<!